Since its founding in 1853, Washington University has evolved from a fledgling educational institution to a world-class research university—but we couldn’t have achieved any of this without your support.
Washington University brings together the finest minds and most dedicated faculty and students, and together they advance science and technology, medicine and public health, the arts, the humanities, and the social sciences. Our students and faculty share a vision for a brighter world. They seek and apply new knowledge, innovate and solve problems, and collaborate to improve the quality of life for all. Donors like you help bolster our efforts to teach, discover, and serve—thank you.
Our impact is your impact.
- Our students come from over 100 countries and all 50 states to attend WashU and make their mark on the world.
- With a 7:1 student-to-faculty ratio, our students often find meaningful connections with faculty mentors
- Students and faculty work together to push boundaries and create solutions. At any time, there are more than 3,000 research projects taking place across our campuses.
- About 60% of undergraduate students participate in community service.
- Washington University is the second largest employer in St. Louis with 16,950 employees.
- 23.9% of our 156,243 alumni live and work in the St. Louis area.
- 1,685 university-employed physicians at the School of Medicine represent 76 specialties and provide clinical care to 60 clinical sites through Washington University Physicians.
Our Annual Fund donors take us over the finish line.
By the numbers | 2021-22
Total matching gifts
Total matching gift dollars
Why I give
There are thousands of reasons to give to Washington University, and every donor has a story about what they support and why.